Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Ad that Made an Icon out of MAC!

Pow![Horn-Tootin' Dep't] In 1996 I attended the Popular Culture Association's national conference, where I presented a paper on Charles Atlas ads and some of their many parodies. (A sample panel from one of the ads is displayed at left.) I later turned that essay into an article for the Winter 2000 issue of Hogan's Alley (for you bibliography buffs, that's issue 7, pages 80-87, according to my horribly out-of-date c.v.). The HA website recently posted my article, along with a few small illustrations.

I had heard they were planning to do so a couple of years ago, but I think they just got around to it recently - not surprising, given how much work goes into each issue. The website has also archived features like their interview with Bizarro's Dan Piraro and an essay on Johnstone and Cushing, the advertising company behind classics like Postum's pesky nemesis, Mr. Coffee Nerves.

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger C. Margery Kempe said...

So....when will that coffee table book on Mac be coming out? The world wants to know!

3/30/2005 6:42 PM  
Blogger Gene Kannenberg, Jr. said...

Give me time... I'm workin' on it!

4/25/2005 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you use the CA sample from my history professor?

He had no idea there was an entire subculture out there!

8/25/2005 10:18 AM  
Blogger Gene Kannenberg, Jr. said...

Probably not; I wrote this many, many moons ago - last century, even. But that one should still be in my Big Binder o'Atlas - someday I hope to publish a collection, if I can ever get all the necessary permissions, sigh...

8/25/2005 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home