Saturday, March 26, 2011

Where I'm At: BEAR-Con, SUNY Potsdam

This weekend I'm proud to be a special guest of SUNY Potsdam's first (annual, we hope) BEAR-Con. I made the drive up to Potsdam, NY yesterday and enjoyed a bit of the con last night, finally getting to meet organizer Chris Tatro in person, after lots of email correspondence. What is BEAR-Con? Glad you asked!
Bear-Con is a wonderful opportunity to express your fun-loving side. It is a convention that will have many events including card games, board games, video games, table-top games, anime, comic books, science fiction, science fact, discussions on a variety of topics, guest speakers, musicians and much, much more.
I'll be giving two talks today. One is a short presentation I've given before, "Strange Magic: Marvel's 'Dr. Strange' from Comics to Culture"; the other is a new, longer talk, that I've been planning for a while, "Secret Origins of the Graphic Novel." I'll also be on a panel with SUNY Potsdam's Dr. Jim Donahue (my academic liason to the con, with whom I went to grad school back in the day) on "Great Graphic Novels You Should Be Reading." I gave a brief interview to the student newspaper prior to my appearance, which you can read here. I'm looking forward to the con!

Labels: , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home