Joint International Conference of Graphic Novels, Bandes dessinées and Comics 2011 (UK)
The comic strip, having been viewed as a lower form of art for decades, is increasingly being recognised as a phenomenon worthy of academic study. We are therefore proud to be hosting a major academic conference on comics, bandes dessinées and graphic novels at MMU from 5-8 July 2011.
We have had a fantastic response to our Call for Papers from people all over the world. This has enabled us to put on one of the very rare four day events of its kind , at what we hope is a reasonable price.
Given the response, we shall have two sets of parallel sessions running all day. The first two days will concentrate on Anglophone comics and manga. The second two days centre on European comics.
The keynote speakers are :
- the American artist Melinda Gebbie
- the English Artist and Writer, Hunt Emerson
- the French artist Edmond Baudoin
- Professor Pierre Fresnault-Deruelle from the Sorbonne University, Paris.
The main themes of this conference are space and time in comics and audiences and readership. We also have panels on much else, including comics and gender, architecture and Francophone Africa. It is hoped that this conference will be a major landmark in the international study of comics.
The conference is being organised with the support of:
- the Alliance Française de Manchester
- Institute of Humanities & Social Science Research at MMU
- Manchester Institute for Research and Innovation in Art and Design (MIRIAD)
- European Comic Art
- Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics
- Studies in Comics