Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tales from the Green Scrapbook #3: Spider-Man Visits Milwaukee

Yes, it's been nearly two years, but it's the return of Tales of the Green Scrapbook - an occasional (very) series in which I scan comics-related items that I kept in an old notebook when I was a child...

This time out - Spider-Man visits Milwaukee, Wisconsin! The year is 1977 or '78 (I didn't make notes at the time), and the newspaper is filled with ads like this one, urging kids (and their money-spending parents, natch) to visit Gimbels, the big department store, in order to meet Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man! This ad is so large that I had to scan it in two parts. Nice John Romita, Sr. art here!

But it wasn't just ads that were in the paper. Gerald Kloss, the Milwaukee Journal's "Slightly Kloss-Eyed" humor columnist (example), also interviewed the man in the Spidey suit. (I wonder if such interviews are even possible anymore - perhaps Marvel would want to maintain the illusion for the kids better nowadays?)

Anyway: Here, possibly for the first time on teh internets, is that vintage interview. Enjoy!

PS: For whatever reason, I didn't get to go and meet my hero that time. However, I bet none of the kids who did get to meet him bothered to keep this stuff. Ephemera ftw!

Labels: , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home